Thursday, March 26, 2009

Carcass 3/26

I made it out to the Carcass Crag last night with Chris Duca. The cliff was pretty dry, though some of the routes had a few wet spots. After warming up on lower Appalling Travesty and Two-pitch Route, Chris and I worked on the proper finish to Appalling Travesty. It was great to get on the route again- super fun and a total sleeper. The business section of the route is pretty short, but it's a really cool series of bumps and deadpoints.

Parker showed up to do some rope soloing shortly after we started and we invited him to join us. He was pretty stoked. I guess he's headed out of town with Vuono for a few months to go climb in the desert and Yosemite. Must be nice...

On my last go, I manged to link all the way to the last hard move. One-hung it. The tricks I learned in the gym this winter, coupled with all of the yoga are really paying off. My contact strength, dead-pointing accuracy and high stepping are feeling really good. Now if I can only do something about my terrible endurance. It's been a long winter...

It's good to be roped up again. The first real burn on the route I was feeling a little bit shakey. The Carcass can get in your head a little more than some of our other crags. It was good to keep trying, by the end of it I definitely felt like I was trusting the rope again.

The anchor on the top of the route is toast! It was a piece of 10mm rope, but now it's totally rotten and green with mold. It even has a huge core shot (not sure how that happened). We backed it up with a piece of cord, but it needs to be replaced with some quicklinks very badly.

On a side note, I bumped into Derek who'd been up at the East Side. He's been bitten by the bug and it looks like we'll see some action out of him this summer. I'm psyched- let's hope our schedules line up for once.

Gotta get back to the Carcass again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment